In the following article, we will give you some tips and other exercises that will help you keep your knees healthy and strong longer.
Solid knees for a fulfilling life
Did you know that the knee is the largest joint of the body? It is formed by the patella, the upper end of the tibia and the lower part of the femur.
These bones are interconnected by cartilage (including the meniscus, responsible for damping movements) and ligaments.
The knees are very sensitive to lesions . For that, we do not need to be an elite athlete or perform complicated exercises.
It is very important to strengthen the knees in particular, but also close muscles, such as the hamstrings and the quadriceps, to avoid pain and other problems.
Here are some tips for having strong knees:
See also this article: Strengthen your injured knees with these 5 exercises
1. Watch your weight
Obesity and overweight are two conditions that severely damage knees.
- If your weight is 20% greater than your height and morphology you increase the risk of osteoarthritis in this joint by up to 10 times .
- When we jump or descend a ladder, our weight is multiplied by 4. All this impact is reflected on the knees.
2. See your doctor
If this joint hurts for a few days and you have taken non-prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs but are not getting any improvement, you should consult an orthopedic surgeon.
- This professional will be responsible for analyzing the condition of the knees, to perform the tests that he considers necessary and to recommend the appropriate treatment .
- He may prescribe medications or kinesiology sessions, through more complex techniques such as, for example, arthroscopy or other surgical procedures.
3. Watch out for jumps
Although it is good to jump rope or perform exercises that include jumping, it is very important to learn to perform them correctly .
- A bad fall can not only cause injuries to the feet, but also to the knees.
- It is always recommended to land with semi-flexed legs, to slightly offset the weight of the body.
4. Change your diet
Feeding is very important for having a strong and healthy knee.
- Do not hesitate to incorporate foods with anti-inflammatory properties such as, avocado, fish (especially salmon and mackerel), olive oil and nuts.
- Also be sure to give the body all the vitamin E it needs to strengthen the joints.
To do this, you need to add daily foods such as kiwi, mango, peanuts, broccoli and spinach.
- Remember calcium to prevent osteoporosis and weakening bones. Not only dairy products contain them, but also green leafy vegetables (eg chard or chard) and almonds
Try to stay home for a few days, walk as little as you can and do not exercise for a week.
Very often, inflammation may become chronic if it is not treated in time or has not been given time to heal completely.
Exercises to Have Solid Knees
It is very important to strengthen the whole lower part to take good care of our knees and not be vulnerable to injury.
The quadriceps, for example, is the largest muscle in the leg and, if not in good condition, can cause various joint pathologies.
Be very careful with sports injuries or those that occur during daily activities, such as climbing a ladder, carrying a shopping bag, or walking the dog.
If you practice a sport to relax, pay attention and do not forget to warm up your muscles before starting and stretching when finished .
More recommendations to follow:
- Use proper shoes
- Stop when you feel tired
- Choose surfaces suitable for exercise
- Do not make sudden rotations of feet or legs
Here is a series of exercises to have strong knees:
1. Sitting bends
- Sit on a chair with your back straight.
- Slip your right foot down the seat as far as you can. The muscle must remain firm throughout the exercise .
- Hold for 10 seconds and return to the original position.
- Repeat the same exercise with your left foot.
2. Lower bends
- Lie on your back and bend your knees to reach your chest (or as close as possible).
- Hold your legs with your hands and hold them for 15 seconds.
- Another option is to lift one leg and let the other stand on the ground (stretched or flexed).
3. Sitting kicks
- Sit down, resting your back completely on the chair. The feet are fixed on the ground.
- Raise your right leg and stretch it until it is parallel to the ground . Hold the posture for 10 seconds and slowly descend
- Repeat the same exercise with the other leg.
You probably know this exercise but did not know that it can be very useful for having strong knees, in addition to toning the buttocks .
- Get up and open your legs up to shoulder width. The back remains perfectly straight
- Flex your legs slowly and lower your torso. Lower yourself as much as you can and hold the position for 10 seconds.
- Do 10 repetitions.
Stun is another well-known exercise in the gym that can help you if you want to keep your knees solid.
- Stand straight with legs together and your hands on your sides.
- Take a big step forward with your right leg and flex your left knee to get your torso down .
- After 5 seconds, return to the original position and do the same with the other leg.
These remedies can help relieve discomfort as long as the knee pain is not due to something serious. If discomfort persists, consult a specialist.