What to do against crevices in the heel?



Last updated: March 2018 | 58 visits










            Heel cracks are a common problem usually caused by dry, highly callous skin. The callus layer is cracked, resulting in deep grooves. This is not just an aesthetic problem: it can be very painful. What prevention and what treatment?

Dry skin is the main cause of heel cracks. But there are also other factors.

• Heel cracks are more common in people exercising a standing profession because of pressure on their feet.

• People who often expose their feet to humidity or cold are more likely to suffer from cracks.

• Socks or abrasive shoes may contribute to the development of crevasses.

• As aging the elasticity of the skin decreases, increasing the risk of cracking.

• People with Problems with blood vessels and a reduction of blood circulation in the legs and feet have an increased risk of heel cracks. This applies, in particular, to persons suffering from cardiovascular disease or diabetes.

• Persons with eczema or psoriasis also present an increased risk of crevices


Some measures can help to limit the problem.

• wear well-fitting, non-abrasive shoes
• do not expose your feet to extreme temperatures and humidity
• do not let the skin dry: use a good ointment
• remove the cal of heels regularly with a pumice or a file with feet, and be careful with the file, it can promote cracking

Never try to remove the layer of callus with a razor blade or other sharp objects. You could cause injuries that can become infected.


• Dry skin can be treated with a moisturizing care . There are also special creams for callused skin around the heels. Ask your pharmacist or consult a pedicurist or doctor if necessary.

• In case of shallow cracks, you can try to remove the layer of callus with a pumice stone or a special file. Be careful not to file too deep, this can make the situation worse.

• Soak your feet daily in a lukewarm bath for about 10 minutes. Dry your feet well and coat them with a fatty ointment.

• If the cracks are very painful, bleed or become infected, consult your general practitioner or dermatologist.




                    published on: 11/03/2018, updated on 10/03/2018











Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.